After speaking at hundreds of universities and high schools across the nation and helping thousands of families, I believe that there are 10 core mistakes largely responsible for why most families NEVER receive the FREE money that’s available to them. One of the biggest challenges parents face is not taking the time to understand the current college system.
So, what are the 10 core mistakes most parents make while going through the financial aid process?
- Assuming that they won’t be eligible for financial aid because they own a home or make over $40,000 per year.
- Focusing their time and energy searching for private scholarships instead of spending their time learning how to qualify for “need-based” or merit financial aid.
- Assuming only minority students, athletes, and academically gifted students get financial aid.
- Choosing colleges and universities without paying attention to how their student performs relative to the rest of the student body.
- Assuming all schools are created equal and they will be able to give you the same amounts of money.
- Not understanding the difference between “included assets” and “un-included assets” on financial aid forms.
- Not understanding investment options; it’s all counted in the same way.
- Assuming all CPA or Tax Preparer is qualified to fill out financial aid forms.
- Waiting until your child’s senior year of high school to start working on your college planning.
- Going through the financial aid process on your own because it’s “Cheaper”.
College Planning Experts celebrates 10 years of serving families by making college affordable, one family at a time. One of the families we have been working with recently stated that going to a workshop opened her eyes to how the financial aid system really works, and that it helped her learn how to afford to send her son off to college.
Next month, Los Angeles County parents will have 5 opportunities to learn more about the college application process. We’ll discuss everything from the greatest myths about the college process to simple strategies to send your student to a fancy private school for less than the cost of a junior college. It’ll be like learning how to get a brand new Lexus for the price of a used pick-up truck.
Topics will also include why private scholarships and 529 plans are a waste of time, how to double or even triple the amount of free money you receive from each school. Parents will also learn how to avoid the one mistake that will kill your chances of getting any money at all. Believe it or not, almost every other parent will probably make this mistake and you will learn much, much more.
RSVP to one of our upcoming workshops by going to our calendar: www.CollegePlanningExperts.com/workshops. Don’t forget: the class is totally free, but we have limited seating available
Reserve your seat (RSVP) @ CollegePlanningExperts.com/workshops or call 661-295-9946 today.